Wednesday 8 April 2015

New Book!

Doctor Molly's Medicine Case!





Here is Doctor Molly! She has the best medicine case ever and it has to be said that there's something quite magical at work - again - in my latest work published by the good people at Walker books and written by the fantastic Miriam Moss. 
This story opens a world of imagination where Doctor Molly can find the perfect cure for her patients with the help of the reader. The magic of the medicine case is that it is stuffed to the depths with potential cures. Cures that can make you laugh, or cured with a song to forget that you're feeling out of sorts. All is possible, but then Doctor Molly can find the best cure of all for her toys.

Once Miriam and I agreed on the main characters, the real work began! Little Doctor Molly went through some development from the original roughs where she had various hair styles and wore glasses, then settling on the distinctive hair band which interchanged with her doctor's costume. Even though I have some experience painting for novelty books, this one proved to be quite complex, getting the page turns and flaps to balance nicely! Here are some early roughs.


A sneezing polar bear arrives as Doctor Molly's first patient. I kept the backdrop very minimal ( for me! ) soft hues painted in water colour for the cure scenes.
What is inside that Case?!
A cure for any rainy day!



The contents of Dr. Molly's case changes with each animal patient. I included a whole collection of play things that I loved as a child...Balloons, Binoculars, glitter glue and small shiny things kept in tiny boxes. Of course I still have an over stuffed drawer in my studio with many of these items.

A further reading link from Miriam and me here on the Walker Picture Book Party blog 




No comments:

Post a Comment